手机APP下载

您现在的位置: ms196明仕亚洲 > 双语阅读 > 双语新闻 > 经济新闻 > 正文

男子患癌告赢强生 获赔3000万美元

来源:CNN 编辑:max   VIP免费外教试听课 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
Stephen Lanzo, 46, a New Jersey investment banker, sued Johnson & Johnson, claiming its talcum powder products he used for over 30 years gave him mesothelioma.
近日,美国新泽西州的46岁投资银行家史蒂芬·兰佐起诉强生公司,称他因三十多年来一直使用该公司的滑石爽身粉产品而患上间皮瘤。
The suit brought by Lanzo and his wife Kendra claims the cosmetics giant and its supplier knew the powder could contain cancer-causing asbestos but failed to warn the public.
兰佐及妻子肯德拉指控化妆品巨头强生和其供应商,在明知该粉末可能含有致癌物质石棉的情况下却未向公众发出警告。
The jury agreed with Lanzo. Johnson & Johnson was liable for 70% of the damages, with the other 30% coming from the supplier. Lanzo was awarded $30 million, and his wife $7 million.
陪审团支持兰佐的控诉,判决强生公司对此案件负70%的责任,滑石粉供应商负30%的责任,兰佐获赔3000万美元,其妻获赔700万美元。
The ruling could leave the company open to further bombshell payouts.
这一判决可能使强生公司接下来面临更多突如其来的索赔。
男子患癌告赢强生 获赔3000万美元Talcum powder is made from talc, a soft mineral found in deposits often located near asbestos deposits. Studies have shown that there is a risk of cross-contamination during mining.
爽身粉是由滑石制成的,这种矿物质通常位于石棉沉积物附近。而有研究表明,滑石在开采过程中存在与石棉交叉污染的风险。
On top of the $37 million already awarded the jury could award punitive damages next week, which are generally assessed as punishment for unethical or negligent actions.
除了已经获赔的3700万美元外,陪审团可能会在下周判处惩罚性赔偿,这通常被视为对不道德或疏忽行为的惩罚。
Johnson & Johnson will be liable for 70 percent of the damages with the other 30 percent falling on Imerys Talc, a supplier of the mineral.
强生公司将承担70%的惩罚性赔偿,其余30%则由该矿物供应商Imerys Talc承担。
'While we are disappointed with this decision, the jury has further deliberations to conduct in this trial and we will reserve additional comment until the case is fully completed,' Carol Goodrich, a spokeswoman for Johnson & Johnson, told CNN.
强生公司发言人卡罗尔·古德里奇向CNN透露:“虽然我们对这一决定感到失望,但陪审团还有进一步的审议要在这次审判中进行,我们将保留进一步置评,直到案件全部完成。”
重点单词   查看全部解释    
supplier [sə'plaiə]
想一想再看
n. 供应者,供应厂商,供应国
 
comment ['kɔment]
想一想再看
n. 注释,评论; 闲话
v. 注释,评论
联想记忆
mineral ['minərəl]
想一想再看
adj. 矿物的
n. 矿物,矿石
联想记忆
powder ['paudə]
想一想再看
n. 粉,粉末,细雪,火药
vt. 洒粉于,使
 
disappointed [.disə'pɔintid]
想一想再看
adj. 失望的
 
trial ['traiəl]
想一想再看
adj. 尝试性的; 审讯的
n. 尝试,努力
 
additional [ə'diʃənl]
想一想再看
adj. 附加的,另外的
 
negligent ['neglidʒənt]
想一想再看
adj. 疏忽的,粗心的,不在意的
联想记忆
jury ['dʒuəri]
想一想再看
n. 陪审团,评委会
adj. 临时用的
联想记忆
conduct [kən'dʌkt]
想一想再看
n. 行为,举动,品行
v. 引导,指挥,管理
联想记忆
发布评论我来说2句

    英语学习专题

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。